The International Council on Systems Engineering Standards Working Group is one of the most active communities within INCOSE. Its members are working to advance and harmonize systems engineering standards used worldwide.
CURRENT SE STANDARDS
- ANSI/GEIA EIA-632, Processes for Engineering a System, 01 Sept 2003
- Available for purchase from Techstreet. See http://www.geia.org/ANSI-EIA-632-Standard--PROCESSES-FOR-ENGINEERING-A-SYSTEM for table of contents.
- Under revision by GEIA G-47 to align with ISO/IEC 15288; early stage of development (current status unknown). After publication will be fast tracked as an ISO standard.
- EIA/IS 731.1, Systems Engineering Capability Model, Electronic Industries Alliance (Interim Standard), 01 Aug 2002
- Available for purchase from Techstreet. See http://www.geia.org/EIA-731.1-Standard---SYSTEMS-ENGINEERING-CAPABILITY-MODEL for description and table of contents.
- IEEE 1220-2005, IEEE Standard for Application and Management of the Systems Engineering Process, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 09 Sept 2005
- Available for purchase from Techstreet. See http://standards.ieee.org/reading/ieee/std_public/new_desc/se/1220-2005.html for a description and table of contents.
Revision from 1998 version to align IEEE 1220 with ISO/IEC 15288 and to provide a lower level of detail than 15288. In process of being fast-tracked to become an ISO Technical Report.
- ISO/IEC 19760:2003 - A Guide for the Application of ISO/IEC 15288
- Available for purchase from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). See http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=33898 for a description.
- ISO/IEC 15504: 2004 - Information Technology - Process Assessment
- Available for purchase from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- Part 1: Concepts and vocabulary (2004)
- Part 2: Performing an assessment (2003)
- Part 3: Guidance on performing an assessment (2004)
- Part 4: Guidance on use for process improvement and process capability determination (2004)
- Part 5: An assessment model and indicator guidance (2006)
- Part 6: An exemplar system life cycle process assessment model (2008)
- Part 7: Assessment of organizational maturity
Three additional parts are in progress, related to software process assessment. See http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_tc_browse.htm?commid=45086&published=on&development=on.
- ISO 10303-AP233, Industrial automation systems and integration -- Part 233: Systems engineering data representation
- Additional information available on the AP-233 website
- ANSI/AIAA G-043-1992, Guide for the Preparation of Operational Concept Documents
- Being upgraded now by INCOSE and AIAA partnership
- IEEE 1471, 2000: IEEE Recommended Practice for Architectural Description of Software-Intensive Systems
- Available for purchase from IEEE
- Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
- All you need to know is available from the Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute's CMMI website at http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/
- Merger of SW-CMM (from SEI) and SECM (EIA/IS 731)
- Released in July 2000 (Combined SE/SW model)
- Later release with IPPD elements (version 1.1), Jan 2002
- Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Available for download from the Object Management Group (OMG)
Approved as an ISO standard: ISO/IEC 19501:2005 Information technology - Open Distributed Processing - Unified Modeling Language (UML) Version 1.4.2
UML 2.0 Superstructure Specification (formal/05-07-04) is available
- OMG Systems Modeling Language (OMG SysML™)
- Adopted by the OMG and formally announced in July 2006
Latest information is available at the official OMG SysML site at http://www.omgsysml.org
- UML Profile for DoDAF/MODAF (UPDM)
- Expected adoption in June 2007December 2008; current status unknown.
Latest information is available at the UPDM site at http://www.updm.com/index.htm