This request for services is open to INCOSE members and non-members who satisfy the criteria to serve as Chief Editor for the INSIGHT member newsletter. This is a paid contract position with a two year period of performance. Compensation could be as high as $5,000 per issue ($20,000 per year) based upon qualifications.
All applicants must submit a resume and brief description of their qualifications to be considered for this position. All applications are to be submitted to INCOSE Central Office, attention: Shirley Bishop and must be received by the announcement close date. This request for services will close on 15 March 2006.
The INSIGHT Chief Editor reports to the INCOSE Director for Communications and is responsible to:
- Manage the creation of editorial content for the INCOSE newsletter, including coordination with theme editors from the INCOSE technical community and authors of feature articles, reviews and columns.
- Assemble all editorial content for timely layout and publication of the newsletter on a quarterly basis. Professional layout services are provided through the INCOSE Central Office to perform final formatting and layout in preparation for production.
- Interface with advertising clients and obtain copy and graphics from the clients for advertisements in each issue (billing is done by INCOSE Central).
- Solicit authors for editorial content and ensure adequate guidelines and follow-up to prepare sufficient content at the required quality level.
- Ensure that all INCOSE constituencies are represented in the newsletter content.
- Act as overall quality control manager for the content of each issue, including editorial feedback and assistance during content preparation by authors.
Minimum Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have a bachelor's degree in engineering, communications or journalism, excellent written communications and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated experience in writing and managing preparation and production of communications products.
Evaluation of experience will consider:
- Experience with editorial responsibilities for newsletters, technical publications and/or journals.
- Substantial knowledge and experience with the INCOSE organization, mission and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently produce timely results using both paid and volunteer staff.
- Membership in INCOSE is required while performing in this position.
- Creating photographic content suitable for digital publishing.
- Marketing and advertising experience is desired.
Other Qualification Requirements:
- Leadership: Ability to lead volunteer and paid contributors in meeting editorial deadlines and satisfy member expectations for quantity and quality as indicated by archived issues and member surveys.
- Responsiveness/communications: Fosters open communications and the exchange of ideas and knowledge. Able to explain, advocate, and present facts and ideas in a convincing manner, and to negotiate between individuals and groups internally and externally to deliver results. Develops an expansive network within INCOSE and with other organizations. Operates with consistency, dignity, and professionalism at all times.
For more information about the INCOSE INSIGHT newsletter or this announcement, please call Shirley Bishop at 800-366-1164 or 206-361-6607 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Council on System Engineering (INCOSE)
2150 N. 107th Street, Suite 205
Seattle, WA 98133-9009 (USA)