TGCC Chapter Meeting July 2017
Systems Engineering Application in Health Care
In July 2005, the National Academy of Engineers and the Institute of Medicine released Building a Better Delivery System: A New Engineering/Health Care Partnership. Then, in May 2014, the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology released Better Health Care and Lower Costs: Accelerating Improvement through Systems Engineering.
Both reports dealt with increasing the use of the principles and
methods of Systems Engineering in healthcare. Unfortunately, even today
the use of Systems Engineering to support decision making and design of
delivery systems is still the exception rather than the norm. That is
changing, but slowly! This presentation will cover several real
applications of Systems Engineering methods in healthcare, such as Monte
Carlo Simulation, Statistical Process Control, Linear Programming,
Multivariable Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, Time-Series
Modeling & Forecasting, and Partition Analysis.
Wayne G. Fischer, MS, PhD
office = 409-747-1509
cell = 281-360-7584
- Graduated from Purdue University with MS and PhD in Chemical Engineering – courses and theses on systems analysis, modeling, simulation, and optimization.
- 18 years in industrial research and development in three major corporations – applying, consulting, teaching graphical and statistical data analysis; Design of Experiments; Statistical Process Control (SPC); process modeling / simulation / optimization; and continual quality improvement.
- 6 years in major industrial business group (manufacturing, sales & marketing, and supply & distribution) leading implementation of team-based Total Quality Management – involving teaching, leading, and facilitating over 100 project Teams, product Teams, and organizational re-design Teams…at all levels of the organization….including data analysis, SPC.
- 17 years in healthcare applying, teaching, consulting with individuals and Teams on continual quality improvement concepts, principles, and methods…at all levels of the organization, in all functional areas…including modeling and statistical data analysis, SPC, Regression Analysis, ANOVA, Monte Carlo simulation, Linear Programming optimization.
- UT System internal consultant and faculty for Clinical Safety & Effectiveness educational program:
- On all aspects of Team QI projects using Deming PDCA structured methodology
- Tools, methods, data collection / analysis / interpretation
- Certified “Team Skills” Trainer and Facilitator
- Certified “Improving Processes” Trainer and Facilitator
- American Society for Quality:
- Invited speaker at national conferences of Healthcare and Quality Management Divisions, and webinars for Statistics Division
- Certified Manager of Quality & Organizational Excellence
- Certified Quality Engineer
- Certified Quality Auditor
- Invited speaker at national conferences:
- Institute of Industrial & Systems Engineers
- World Customer Service Congress
- The Center for Health Design