Welcome to the Product Line Engineering International Working Group!
What is Product Line Engineering?
Managing Variation: An Industrial Perspective on Product Line Engineering - In this video, Dr. Paul Clements introduces Product Line Engineering (PLE), various techniques that have been used for PLE, and how PLE concepts are being applied in industry today.
Feature-based Systems and Software Product Line Engineering: A Primer - This (free) booklet was developed by this working group as an introductory companion to upcoming ISO standard 26580 on Feature-based Product Line Engineering. It serves as a fantastic introduction to Feature-based PLE for Systems and it's impact on engineering assets, economic impacts, and organizational changes.
- Promote PLE (Product Line Engineering) and related SE (Systems Engineering) best practices
- Coordinate activities around PLE at INCOSE level and share results
- Help our members acquire Know‐How:
- Compare to the State‐of‐Art
- Share concerns, experiences, good practices, and traps to avoid
- Provide guidelines to set up and evolve PLE in organizations
- All types of Systems, Markets, & Organizations
- All the SE Processes (needs, requirements, architecture, integration and tests, …)
- All maturity levels of PLE, from opportunistic to completely Integrated and anticipated strategies
Our group charter is available online here.
Product Line Engineering Track
Do Product Lines Have Sweet Spots?
Andrew Pickard, Keith Harper (Rolls-Royce Corporation)
Session: 5.3.1 - Product Line Engineering
Tuesday, July 21 : 12:30-13:10
Patterns for Success in the Adoption and Execution of Feature-based Product Line Engineering: A Report from Practitioners
Susan Gregg (Lockheed Martin); David Hartley (General Dynamic Mission Systems); Morgan McAfee (General Dynamics Mission Systems); Randy Pitz (Boeing); James Teaff (Raytheon); Paul Clements (BigLever Software, Inc.)
Session: 5.3.2 - Product Line Engineering
Tuesday, July 21 : 13:15-13:55
Digital Product-Service Systems meet Product Line Systems Engineering – The Cart before the Horse?
Hugo Guillermo Chalé Gongora, Pierre-Olivier Robic (Thales); Danilo Beuche (Pure-Systems)
Session: 5.3.3 - Product Line Engineering
Tuesday, July 21 : 14:00-14:40
Applying Systems Thinking to Frame and Explore a Test System for Product Verification; a Case Study in Large Defence Projects
Rune Andre Haugen (Kongsberg Defence and Aerospace AS); Mo Mansouri (University of South-eastern Norway)
Session 1.3.3: Verification/Validation
Monday, July 20 : 11:30-12:10
Addressing Challenges of the Circular Economy using Model-Based Co-Creation and Systems Design
Jan Hendrik Roodt (Stone To Stars Ltd); Clemens Dempers (Polar Analytics Oy)
Session 2.3.2: Systems Architecture/Design Definition
Monday, July 20 13:15-13:55
Conferences focused on product families and variability subjects
VaMoS 2021: 15th International Working Conference on Variability Modelling of Software-Intensive Systems
- Dates: February 09 - 11, 2021
- Location: Krems, Austria
SAE World Congress
- Dates: 13-15 April, 2021
- Location: Detroit, Michigan, USA
IEEE/NDIA/INCOSE Systems Security Symposium
- Dates: 21-22 June 2021
- Location: Berlin, Germany
- Dates: July 1 – August 1, 2020
- Location: (Virtual) Arlington, Virginia, USA
MCP-CE : World Conference on Mass Customization, Personalization, and Co-Creation
- Dates: 23-25 September, 2020
- Location: Novi Sad, Serbia
ConfWS 20 : Workshop on Configuration
- Dates: September 10th-21th, 2020
- Location: (Virtual) Italy
SPLC 2020 : 24rd International Systems and Software Product Line Conference
23rd Annual Systems and Mission Engineering Conference
- Dates: October 19 to 23, 2020
- Location: (Virtual) Montréal, Canada
I/ITSEC 2020: The Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference
- Dates: 19-22 October, 2020
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
- Dates: 30 November - 4 December, 2020
- Location: Orlando, Florida, USA
Our PLE group is growing fast. We invite you to join us!
Membership in the PLE IWG is open to any INCOSE member. To join the group:
- Log into your INCOSE account
- Go to your Profile Page, and scroll to the bottom left section titled "My Committees and Working Groups"
- Click the link for "Browse / Join a Working Group"
- Find the Product Lines group and click on View to see roster; the Join option is at the bottom of the page
Shared working documents, meeting minutes and presentation material are available in our CONNECT page.
Visit us at https://connect.incose.org/WorkingGroups/ProductLines/Pages/Home.aspx