Identify and promote opportunities associated with the effective integration of the Systems Engineering and Project/Program Management Disciplines.
- Explore the linkages necessary to create effective integration and collaboration between systems engineers and program managers.
- Be the integration point where systems engineers, program/project managers, collaborate and integrate their efforts.
- Facilitate collaboration between systems engineering and program management communities.
- Demonstrate the value of integrating systems engineering and program management to develop better solutions that drive strategic business results and outcomes.
- Produce useful deliverables that support effective integration and practice of collaborative systems engineering and program management.
- Provide thought leadership on open integration challenges between program management and systems engineering.
- Bring external perspectives to the systems engineering and program management communities to facilitate thinking outside of the box.
- Represent a think tank for free thinking and engagement around critical issues associated with program management and systems engineering.
- Draft guidelines, and/or influence existing ones (e.g. PMBoK, SEBoK, etc.), based on experience and exchanges on PM/SE integration and collaboration.
Our scope encompasses activities relating to defining, capturing, evolving, and communicating PM/SE integration best practices. This may include the development of training material, guideline material, recommendations for industry best practices and standards, and shared output with industry working groups from other organizations.
Also in scope is joining efforts with other INCOSE working groups such as Requirements, Risks, Lean SE, Agile SE, etc... where appropriate, to ensure subject matter expertise is seamlessly integrated into various aspects of the systems engineering process. Exploration of common problems and/or practices also falls within scope.
SKILLS AND EXPERTISE REQUIRED
Strong knowledge and experience in Engineering Management and/or Project Management application and frequent obstacles, differences, gaps, overlaps, etc. are required. Hands-on experience in industries is welcomed.
- Jean-Claude Roussel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- John Lomax
- Tina Srivastava
- Rachel Mouring (email@example.com)
- Project Breakdown Structures (PjBS): Jean-Claude Roussel
- Strategic Technical Planning: John Lomax
- Systems Engineering Handbook (SEH) V5 Update: Tina Srivastava and Jean-Claude Roussel
- Comparison of PMBoK and SEBoK: Mark Kaufman
- Education and Certification: Jean-Francois Veron
INCOSE collaborated with the Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) to publish a book titled: Integrating Program Management and Systems Engineering: Methods, Tools, and Organizational Systems for Improving Performance in 2017. This book shows how organizations can become more effective, more efficient, and more responsive, and enjoy better performance outcomes. The discussion begins with an overview of key concepts, and details the challenges faced by Systems Engineering and Program Management practitioners every day. The practical framework that follows describes how the roles can be integrated successfully to streamline project workflow, with a catalog of tools for assessing and deploying best practices. Case studies detail how real-world companies have successfully implemented the framework to improve cost, schedule, and technical performance, and coverage of risk management throughout helps you ensure the success of your organization's own integration strategy.
Book authors and editors:
- Eric S. Rebentisch
- Tina P. Srivastava
- Kenneth M. Zemrowski
- Virginia A. Greiman
- Edivandro Carlos Conforto
- Marin R. Nelson
- Stephen A. Townsend
- Eric S. Norman
The book is available for sale with an INCOSE membership discount on the INCOSE Store:
- PMBoK updates
- SEBoK updates
- SE Handbook updates
- PM/SE Integration Best Practices Guidelines
- Recommendations for ISO Standards on PM/SE Integration
PM-SE Integration WG meetings are regularly scheduled at IS and IW events; please check the event program for specific time slots.
Between IS and IW, web meetings are also planned at both WG level and Initiative levels, with a minimum of one WG web meeting between IS and IW. If you are interested in attending one of these Web meetings, please email the WG Co-chairs for further information.
Given the COVID-19 situation, all WG meetings are being held virtually with INCOSE web meeting facilities (Zoom); this will continue until further notice.
RECENTLY HELD SESSIONS:
- WG Meeting: 14 Oct, 2020, 13:00-14:30 EST
INCOSE IS2021 / INCOSE IW2021
Please check back for up to date information on planned presentations as they are scheduled.