This working group's mission is to provide a body of fundamental knowledge which enables systems engineering and engineered systems to operate in environments of caprice, uncertainty, risk, variability, and evolution (CURVE). See the full Agile Systems and Systems Engineering charter.
This working group views agility as a sustainable system and process capability under CURVE conditions, enabled and constrained fundamentally by system architecture. This architecture delivers agile capability as reconfigurable, augmentable, composable, and evolvable for system and process functionality, during operation throughout the lifecycle. The architecture enables the system or process to respond to new and immediate situational requirements effectively. Effectiveness of response is measured in response time, response cost, response quality, and response scope sufficient to sustain functional intent.
This working group's objective is to focus on fundamentally necessary and sufficient concepts, concept-employment principles, and concepts of operations that enable any system or process to be agile, and to show how these concepts and principles are or might be applied advantageously to a variety of INCOSE-relevant systems and processes of interest, independent of prescriptive interpretation.
- Identification and justification of necessary and sufficient fundamental concepts for any system or process to be agile.
- Identification and publication of a relevant body of knowledge appropriate for the Systems Engineering Body of Knowledge (SEBoK).
- Development and maintenance of appropriate contributions to the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook that provide fundamental enabling concepts and considerations for engineering agile systems and processes, and for employing agile SE processes.
- Development of generic Agile Systems Engineering Life Cycle Model fundamentals, compatible with IEEE/ISO 15288 and with agile systems engineering processes of all kinds.
- Identification and development of informative examples of fundamental agile-system concepts employed in a variety of relevant system or process applications.
- Socialization of work efforts with papers for INCOSE’s journal of Systems Engineering, papers and tutorials at the International Symposium, INSIGHT theme issues, and educational and tutorial Webinars.
This working group holds workshops every year at the two main INCOSE events: the International Workshop (usually Jan/Feb) and the International Symposium (usually Jun/Jul). All working group members receive schedule and agenda announcements, and all INCOSE members can view the event planning details on the working group web-site. Non-INCOSE members with interest may inquire at the address shown in the Leadership box.
2020 Mid-Year Agile Systems & SE WG Virtual Workshop
Repeated for international convenience
Tuesday Aug-11, 8:00-10:00 New York US, 13:00-15:00 London, UK
Wednesday Aug-12, 15:00-17:00 Los Angeles, US, 08:00--10:00 Canberra, AU
Zoom URL Links at www.parshift.com/t/August-AgilityWG-Agenda.pptx
News and Working Group Overview
Agility Project in the Future of Systems Engineering (FuSE) Initiative
Agility Primer Project (Agile SE Life Cycle Model)
Early Stage R&D Joint Project with ESR&D Working Group
Agile SE Decision Guidance
INSIGHT 2021 Q3: The Social Dimensions of Systems Engineering - Call for Articles
Open Discussion and New Projects to Consider
Agenda updates at www.parshift.com/t/August-AgilityWG-Agenda.pptx