This working group's mission is to provide a body of fundamental knowledge which enables systems engineering and engineered systems to operate in environments of caprice, uncertainty, risk, variability, and evolution (CURVE). See the full Agile Systems and Systems Engineering charter.
This working group views agility as a sustainable system and process capability under CURVE conditions, enabled and constrained fundamentally by system architecture. This architecture delivers agile capability as reconfigurable, augmentable, composable, and evolvable for system and process functionality, during operation throughout the lifecycle. The architecture enables the system or process to respond to new and immediate situational requirements effectively. Effectiveness of response is measured in response time, response cost, response quality, and response scope sufficient to sustain functional intent.
This working group's objective is to focus on fundamentally necessary and sufficient concepts, concept-employment principles, and concepts of operations that enable any system or process to be agile, and to show how these concepts and principles are or might be applied advantageously to a variety of INCOSE-relevant systems and processes of interest, independent of prescriptive interpretation.
- Identification and justification of necessary and sufficient fundamental concepts for any system or process to be agile.
- Identification and publication of a relevant body of knowledge appropriate for the Systems Engineering Body of Knowledge (SEBoK).
- Development and maintenance of appropriate contributions to the INCOSE Systems Engineering Handbook that provide fundamental enabling concepts and considerations for engineering agile systems and processes, and for employing agile SE processes.
- Development of generic Agile Systems Engineering Life Cycle Model fundamentals, compatible with IEEE/ISO 15288 and with agile systems engineering processes of all kinds.
- Identification and development of informative examples of fundamental agile-system concepts employed in a variety of relevant system or process applications.
- Socialization of work efforts with papers for INCOSE’s journal of Systems Engineering, papers and tutorials at the International Symposium, INSIGHT theme issues, and educational and tutorial Webinars.
This working group holds workshops every year at the two main INCOSE events: the International Workshop (usually Jan/Feb) and the International Symposium (usually Jun/Jul). All working group members receive schedule and agenda announcements, and all INCOSE members can view the event planning details on the working group web-site. Non-INCOSE members with interest may inquire at the address shown in the Leadership box.
IW20 Agile Systems & SE WG Workshop
Sunday 25-Jan, 9:00-17:00 PST (California Time)
Room: TBD, GlobalMeet https://incose.pgimeet.com/INCOSE_GMSeven1, Tel number: 1-605-475-5604, Guest Passcode: 402 788 6298
09:00 – Intros, Agenda, News
09:30 – Overview of the WG – Agility Focus/Charter, and Project Status
09:45 – Open Discussion
10:00 – Break
10:30 – Project Update – Agile SE Decision Guidance
10:45 – Project Update – Continuous Iterative Development
11:00 – Collaboration Opportunity – Social Systems WG
11:15 – Project Proposal – Agile SE Projects for Federated and/or SoS Systems
11:30 – Project Proposal – Codify Systems Engineering Processes to Enable Product and Service Innovation
11:45 – Open Discussion
12:00 – Lunch
13:15 – Collaboration Opportunity – Issues in Implementing Agile SE in an Operational Engineering Environment
13:30 – Project Update – ASELCM TPP Status
13:45 – Project Update – FuSE Adaptable Systems
14:00 – Project Update – FuSE Agile Security with Techno-Social Contracts
14:15 – Project Proposal – Agile SE Projects with Organizational Constraints
14:30 – Project Proposals – How to Measure SE effort on an Agile program, and How to Get On the Job SE Training
14:45 – Open Discussion
15:00 – Break
15:30 – Project Update – Continuous Integration Platform for Mixed Discipline Projects
15:45 – Project Opportunities – CAB Systems Transformation Needs
16:00 – Small group discussions based on interest with above
17:00 – Adjourn