Register here! (Remote participation available. Contact info at this link)
Topic: Negotiation, Persuasion and Conflict Management for Systems Engineers
Abstract: Did you know:
- Conflict is the engine that drives innovation and that it should be managed rather than resolved?
- INCOSE's Competency Model lists "negotiation" as a competency essential to requirements management, verification and validation, and acquisition and supply?
- Problems with conflict, persuasion and negotiation can be handled using skills and techniques that can be easily learned and, with practice, applied in many aspects of your professional and private life?
This tutorial will offer you not only an awareness of the issues around negotiation, persuasion and conflict management but will introduce you to practical knowledge and skills that can make you a better, more persuasive, negotiator and equip you to better manage conflict from the position of a participant or mediator/facilitator whether at work or in your private life. It will cover the foundation and use of communication, influence, interest-based problem solving in personal and professional settings.
Tutorial Learning Objectives
- Participants will gain an awareness of the nature of active listening, persuasion, conflict management, negotiation and interest-based problem solving.
- Participants will gain an understanding of the basic psychology of communication, conflict management and problem solving.
- Participants will be introduced to fundamental tools, techniques and strategies for active listening, persuasion, conflict management, negotiation and interest-based problem solving.
Speaker: Zane Scott is a veteran of 18 years in the courtroom where he tried over 100 jury trials. He has presented live and virtually in a variety of settings, ranging from the courtroom to the classroom. Trained as a hostage/crisis negotiator, mediator and labor-management facilitator, he has taught communication, negotiation and facilitation skills in a variety of government and commercial venues. As VP for Professional Services for Vitech and an Associate Systems Engineering Professional (ASEP), Zane understands the world of systems engineering and the role of these soft-skills in it. He has served as the Chair of the INCOSE Corporate Advisory Board and as a member of the INCOSE Board of Directors. A member of INCOSE’s Chesapeake Chapter, he is a frequent teacher, speaker and blogger on a wide variety of systems engineering and soft skills topics. He has a B.A. in Economics from Virginia Tech and a J.D. from the University of Tennessee Law School.
When: Saturday September 25, 2021 from 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM PST
Cost: Free, INCOSE Members
$25, Associate and Non-Members
Venue: Virtual, register by clicking here: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07eicrxbj2ef164f82&llr=l4ihvgeab